Saturday, July 2, 2011

Drawing the Landscape with Amy Bartlett Wright


I took an art class through RISD, "Drawing the Landscape".. I learned how to use certain colors and textures to make objects appear closer vs far away in the distance. The class toured the Blithewold landscape and picked exciting areas such as the pong with an old stone bridge and benches, or the fountains next to the river.. However, after my tour of the garden, I walked it again trying to pick a simple 1,2,3 spot (explained later) with a good composition, because I am strict about compositions.... It may sound easy but its actually really intimidating to be asked to draw a landscape.. Amy taught us how using "3 main points", in this photo #1 is the two trees in front with the most texture, #2 is the two trees in the upper middle ish that are further 'up' the page with less texture and # 3 is the blurry forest in the background. The main thing about your three objects is that #1 needs to be warm and textured like you could step on the soil and #3 needs to be cooler colored with not alot of personality, just kind of present. #2 is somewhere in between. After Drawing it, I painted the same spot with water color to try out my colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment